NPQs from September 2021
NPQs from September 2021 – change is on the way
From September 2021, a reformed suite of NPQs will be available for teachers and leaders who want to develop their knowledge and skills in school leadership and specialist areas of teaching practice.
The changes to NPQs build on the evidence and expert advice already established in the new core content framework for Initial Teacher Training, and the Early Career Framework (ECF). These reforms are part of the DfE’s Teacher Recruitment and Retention Strategy. They reflect the Teachers’ standards and Headteachers’ standards to ensure coherency with the requirements already used by the teaching profession.
The reformed suite of NPQs will include:
• NPQEL for leaders that are, or aspiring to be, an executive headteacher or Mat CEO role with responsibility for leading several schools.
• NPQH for leaders that are, or are aspiring to be, a Headteacher or head of school with responsibility for leading a school.
• NPQSL for leaders that are, or are aspiring to be, a senior leader with cross—school responsibilities.
The traditional NPQML is being replaced by three specialist middle leadership qualifications:
• NPQ: leading behaviour and culture for teachers who may have responsibilities for leading behaviour and/or supporting pupil wellbeing in their school.
• NPQ: leading teacher development for teachers who may have responsibilities for leading the development of other teachers in their school. They may have responsibilities for the development of all teachers across a school or specifically those who are early in their career.
• NPQ: leading teacher framework for teachers who may have a responsibility for leading teaching in a subject, year group, key stage or phase.
KYRA and Priory will continue to lead all NPQs for Lincolnshire schools, as local Delivery Partners for LEAD Teaching School Hub for Lincolnshire, and with our National Partner, Education Development Trust. For more information, or to register your interest, please contact:
- Helen Barker at Hbarker@kyra.anthemtrust.uk
- Andrew Chisholm at AChisholm@prioryacademies.co.uk
- Amanda Griffiths at email@example.com
All the NPQs will be available in Lincolnshire* and will blend the required synchronous and asynchronous programme content with local, regional, and national participation, within county and beyond.
There will also be a DfE endorsed New Headteacher offer. This will complement the existing Lincolnshire Headteacher Induction package.
“We know that the quality of teaching is the most important factor in improving pupil outcomes, but we also know that this cannot happen in schools without effective leadership. Great leaders create the right conditions for improvement in the classroom and school.”
*NPQEL is available to Lincolnshire colleagues and will run as national cohorts.